View our online prospectus at

My New Life

So here I am, in my third week of being a fresher at the University of Chichester and beginning to adjust to my new life in this strange environment!

First things first, freshers flu is real!! Regardless of how little you venture out in the evening you still end up ill with a cold of some sorts. I've spent the majority of the day in my room, snuggled in bed with a sore throat, cough, headache and I KEEP SNEEZING!! I guess it's all part of that uni experience, right?

The little, comfy life I have always known and learned to love back in Essex, came to an end last Saturday (for the time being at least!) I've been thrust into a life where I have to be an adult, have to organise my own things, wash clothes, clean, cook - all the things my mum would've normally done back at home. I have to say, I am enjoying the new freedom thing but I am missing those good old home comforts! I have some moments where I do really miss home, but for the most part, I'm enjoying myself. I'm hoping it stays this way and I don't suddenly feel homesick in about three weeks time! I am roughly about 115 miles away from home in Chichester, West Sussex. It's not too far that it's far enough that I can't go back every weekend!

The halls of residence aren't too bad! I live in Stockbridge with three other girls - they are lovely (well, at the moment), we all get on quite well, I'm hoping that'll continue throughout the year. I'm about 30 minutes walk away from the university and so far my legs and back want to completely give up! I ache so badly - just shows how unfit I am, after driving most places back at home! It's a lovely walk straight through the town, you just keep going straight until you get there. I'm not far away from the station at all just up the road. Every so often (more or less every time I walk that way) there's a train coming through and the level crossing shuts. We then have to walk over the steps above the station. That, coupled with the walk up the stairs to the second floor flat and the subway under the road, ouch my poor legs!!!!!

It's a fairly big room - a single bed, long corner desk with drawers, wardrobe and an ensuite bathroom. The shower is the most annoying thing - I call it a swimming pool shower, purely because you can't adjust the shower head and you have to keep pressing the button to turn the water on! The room doesn't feel very homely at the moment, it doesn't feel like it belongs to me just yet! Like the flat doesn't feel like my home either. But I guess over the course of the year, it'll begin to feel more like home.

Getting settled in!

It's incredibly different to what I'm used to and to my life of the past 18 years - so much more to be experienced! Funnily enough, journey from Essex to Sussex is very similar to that, which my mum did (although she did it when she was much, much younger than me!)

I'm quite enjoying fending for myself - cooking, cleaning, shopping, washing! We as a flat, passed our first weekly inspection. We're all still getting on really well and it already feels like we've known each other forever. We've got passed the awkward question stage and the 'new friend' stage and it's easy enough to talk to them! All four of us found each other on FaceBook before we even met, which again I think helped us get to know one another before we met in person. Social media is actually a wonderful invention.

I'm really missing my double bed back at home and the pixiecat (who apparently is sulking that I'm not around. She is refusing to go on to my bed - which is unusual as she never normally moves off of that bed all day) But it is going quicker than I can imagine, it's already my third week down in Chichester and the first five days of October have vanished. It's three weeks until reading week and in three weeks time I'll be back at home.

Mum's car was completely full of my things ready to move me into my new flat here in Chichester. I spent all day with her (minus the bit where we had to go to separate talks at the uni). Mum and I had dinner in ASK! before we went to a classical guitarist concert in the evening in St John's Chapel - it was really good, but hard for me as I knew the time to say goodbye was looming over me. Saying goodbye was the worst, I know I'm going back but it's really hard to see your mum cry. I spent that evening keeping myself occupied by tidying up my room and putting my clothes away.

Induction week wasn't too bad - thought those 9am starts were a killer! I was so tired. The Monday night I had my first experience of being out in a 'club' environment in the SU bar. I didn't think I could go in, as was actually going to chicken out and not bother going in. I was going in on my own - not knowing what to do. But I'm so glad I did! Induction week also consisted of a lovely 7.15am fire alarm...that wasn't fun!! It scared me so much and I didn't actually have to be up that early ANNOYING to say the least! But they have to do it - just to check procedures!

Freshers Week was very busy...

Induction week was spent choosing our modules and being introduced to the course. I had an audition for orchestras - I'm in Sinfonietta. The first weekend here, I did my first shop, went to Wagamama's with two of the girls in the flat, had pancakes and went shopping to make my room feel more homely. It's getting there and I'm feeling more and more at home. It does feel like it belongs to me now.

I've had my first flute lesson with my new teacher, my first performance development class and my first lecture of musical grammar. I'm just looking forward to whatever else this new chapter has to throw at me!

Victoria xx